Metro Winds - Isobelle Carmody

'The death of a parent pulls away one half of the sky so that a weird light is cast upon all ordinary things.'
~ The Girl Who Could See the Wind.

I am currently in awe of this book right now. The slow pull of each short story as it builds and transforms reality into fantasy is breathtaking. I love the details of each character’s lives and their travels.

With a collection of really good stories, I usually have to put down the book after reading one. I’d still be inside the first story which is why I did not plunge through the whole collection at a break neck speed.

'Metro Winds' - blends a fairy tale-like atmosphere with an underground reality for a character who is just discovering her world. I liked how it was told from both the girl's and her aunt's perspectives. There are also hints of the Persephone myth.

'The Dove Game' - is told through the perspective of a young Aussie man who travels to Paris based on a dying man's wish. It featured one of the most haunting circus acts I've ever read. I could relate the most to Daniel, having lost a parent and searched for another place. It is almost like an unspoken rite of passage in Australia to go travel to somewhere new once you become an adult.

'The Girl Who Could See The Wind' - this story contains a mystery for the characters to unravel. I loved the alternative Victorian/19th century feel to it (though the time/place is never stated). I loved the ending and the way the fairy tale aspect to it is flipped and examined on its head.

'The Stranger' - moves from the modern setting of an airport to something raw, ancient and Gothic. It had one of the most powerful endings.

'The Wolf Prince' - also twists and examines the sacrifices made in fairy tales through the eyes of a mortal woman made into a faerie queen. Her character also reflects on both her past and present selves which is a transition that many people wonder over.

Finally, 'The Man Who Lost His Shadow' - is a story told from a character who feels detached from their world which seemed to mirror a loss he felt along with his shadow.

Needless to say, I recommend these stories to anyone.